9.20.2008

A Pebble in Palin's Shoe

Not that I want to be anywhere near Palin's feet, but if I had to be, I would like to act as a mild irritant.

So when I first heard Palin’s GOP speech, I thought the chanters were chanting, "Kill, baby, kill," at the VP nominee. Which both reminded me of some horror movie moment and confused me, considering she is so anti-choice and therefore theoretically sooooooooo not an embryo killer, unless you happen to be an embryonic baby polar bear or wolflette, which luckily I am not, or any embryo happening to be conceived in a country she wants to keep bombing. But then I realized that they were chanting, “Drill, baby, drill,” which kinda cleared things up for me, although I am not sure took away the horror genre feeling for me.

Now, I am not even going to bother waxing poetic on the scariness that is Palin and the surrounding US media coverage - I will leave that the brilliance of the The Onion Daily Show Steven Colbert et al (and may I say they their writers/researchers have found their apex with this figure) and besides we've all gotten 7 million blasts about her and this - but I do want to point out that, if Palin gets elected, we will, of course, trip even more quickly into a world in which, at least within the US, Burners are the best prepared people to survive. And that in and of itself should scare everyone in this country I live in.

However, I was excited that I could enact my own little act of resistance, which I did shortly after the horrifying moment in which I realized that people like her... like they like her the way they think GWB is an "affable" guy even though they "don't agree with all his policies" and therefore would somehow continue to vote for his holistically destructive political existence... that kind of like her.

No, I did not donate to some "Pentathol for Palin" cure-for-lying fund (a fantasy fund offered to me from the mind of a Mr. R. Gordon, thanks). Instead I got online and clicked a fatty donation to Planned Parenthood (or you could send it as a memorial donation, which might feel better... I mean the crowd maybe was saying 'kill baby kill,' right?). And then, because I don't have her home addy, I put in some version of the following address:


Failin/McLame Campaign HQ
1235 S. Clark Street
1st Floor
Arlington , VA 22202

And they sent her a nice thank you card on my behalf. Pebbles - 1, Palin - 0.

No comments: