2.12.2006

Score One for First Date #8

The Motto for 2005 was "Girl Don't Date in "05" (Yeay, I know it doesn't rhyme. I'm a damned teacher, not an advertising exec.)

The Motto for 2006 was "2006: The Year of First Dates." I am just fulfilling my Lunar Year dogginess, I figure.

And I figure if I am going to have a motto, I should stick to it for at least part of the year. But I will give a shout-out to B, who not only took me on the best first date I think I have ever had, but also scores points for the follow-up.

The first date was all about beer and bad jukebox music followed by a trip on the bar of B's bicycle as we rode to go iceskating. There is nothing like two people who don't know eachother and can't skate to save their lives bonding to the music of Celine Dion AND Matisyahu on the same playlist. There is an exercise in humility. Of course anyone who has remotely MET me knows I don't embarrass easily, so points to B for putting it out there. And of course what could possibly follow that up but more beer and arguing about the place of Bob Dylan in the musical world and whether there really is a "Jewish" gene (oy!).

And, being walked home. Aaaaaaaaaaaaw. Yeay, whatever. Ya damned saps.

But the best was follow-up, which came in the form of a voicemail saying,

"Hey there. It's B. Just wanted to say hi. Oh and to see ifIcouldtakeyououtthisTuesdaysinceit'sValentine'sDay. Call me back if you get a chance. Bye."

Smooth. And if I had even one ounce of romanticism in this small but fierce body, I would Aaaaaaaaaw with y'all. But I called B back and said:

"Thanks for the call. I hate and I mean despise detest and loathe Valentine's Day and refer to it as Vile-tine's Day." [Insert 10 minute diatribe on the historical and actual evils of V-Day according to 'Me']

B: "Er, so you don't like Valentine's Day?"

Me: "Not so much, no."

B: "Er, well, OK. I guess I could dislike it, too. I won't take you out for Valentine's Day then. Oh, but oh hey soyawannahangouton...er....Tuesdaynight?"

Me: "Yeah, sure. Sounds great."

....

So points to B for a quick recovery and spending B's Valentine's Day with me.

I feel certain B is going to regret this.

No comments: