8.02.2007

What Do All the Ex-Pat Swissies Do to Celebrate Indie Day?

I know you have all been asking yourselves just this question when you find yourself unexpectedly awake at 3:49 a.m.

Answer: They apparently stuff their trim, fit, muscle-only selves carb-silly at the nearest Swiss bakery.

On August 1st I had yet to learn this. So when I walked out of Avon's Columbine Bakery and into my bro that day, I remarked:

"There's a shitload of very festive Swiss people in that random little bakery. You'd think not so many Swiss people would hang around Vail, since it is like some creepy "Disneyland Swiss Chalet" set. But I swear they are all in there. Weird."
Really, I am guessing every Swiss in the region was there. The place was packed.

Now, as some of you know, in addition to my usual attracting of hovering hummingbirds, I am currently attracting all things Swiss and have consequently become the most recent convert to the League of How Do the French-Swiss Do It? Appreciaters, even if it does irk me that people like Smiley Smiles-a-lot and his countryfolx somehow manage to appear clean and well pressed even when their white clothing has been worn for days, even in the saunas of Colombian jungles. [Note: This is yet another sign demonstrating my non-Swiss origins, as I have a genetic tendency to appear dirty and recently Cuisineart blended/chopped even when I am recently showered and wearing fresh clothing. If you'd like to test yourself, use the ending picture to identify which one's the unshowered suiss wearing a three day old trekked in shirt who looks like they got off an industrial ironing board/steam clean versus who's a recently blended looking double-showered estadounidense? Bet you can't tell.] Oh, tangent, tangent. Where was I? Oh yes, talking to the bro.

And my bro, who is only vaguely listening to my pronouncements and opinions anyways, looks at me and says, "What ARE you yabbling about?" But then the next day he points out this picture and caption in the Vail Daily Newspaper and all is revealed.

Well, happy jour d'indépendance, ya neatniks.

Another picture worth a thousand very telling words:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, my grandparents (on my mom's side) immigrated from Switzerland--does that make me Swiss enough to be neat and tidy no matter my showered-state? More importantly, does that mean I can eat in a Swiss bakery with diplomatic immunity?

ps -- don't worry about the plants in CO; worry about the bears and the mountain sheep.