5.06.2007

The Lost Art of the Compliment

A: So S, you, well you have such fantastic long hair. It really looks good on you. And so I have a question for you. You, well you are so very smart and you are such an intelligent person and bright enough that you could certainly get a job that pays you a lot of money. So tell me, why are you a teacher?

S: (Blink. Pause. Insert cake slice into mouth for added chewing thinking moment)

A: S?

S: Um.... So it sounds maybe like you are implying that high paying jobs take more intelligence than, say, teaching, which sounds like is perhaps for idiots? I am sure that is not what you meant to say.

A: (Blink. Pause. Turn curried chicken on grill for added cooking consideration moment)

S: (Raise eyebrows. Smile expectantly. Blink.)

A: I suppose I should rephrase that. I do see what you are saying.

A: I called you intelligent, though. And I think your hair is just wonderful. I am complimenting you, really.

S: Hmmm. (Blink. Pause. Blink. Pause. Ponder plethora of possible responses. Insert cake. Blink. Ponder. Blink. Continue indefinitely.)

No comments: