9.15.2007

Oh Am I Kickin' Some Recovery Ass

So if you have been paying any attention, you know that my Inner Granny has been ruling the roost in a serious way these days. But I was inspired by my triathlete sister-in-law, who came in 3rd in her age group (30-35) and 15th overall in some ridiculous Colorado mountain race that involved boulder scrambling and a 6,000 foot elevation gain (and no, they START in the friggin mountains.... not at sea level) last weekend. And, thus inspired, I challenged my neighbor to a race. At sea level plus two stories. From one end of the hallway to the other. That is maybe 30 feet.

My neighbor? She's got emphysema, an oxygen tube in her nose and cannot hold her head up using her neck muscles alone.

My point? My chances were pretty good.

Because my neighbor is feisty, she accepted my challenge. So off we went, she holding her oxygen in one hand while using the other fist to hold her chin up so she could see ahead, my inner granny holding my abs together and my guts in. The waddling fierce, the length long...

The result? She won.

So, having had a week to recover, I challenged her to a duel. I mean a rematch.

The result? Since I cannot do the twist as a victory dance without risk of herniating myself, I am settling for grinning broadly and making a smoothie. And I didn't even need to cheat. Feel free to lightly pat me on the back when you next see me.

No comments: